Monday, February 13, 2012

Tectonic Creep

Every day I hustle into the office, or off to violin lessons, or over to the grocery store. In the rush of life, I take for granted the most basic building blocks of that life - there is air to breathe, my heart keeps beating, the ground is stable.

There is a veil over the inner workings of life. Sometimes the veil is pulled away on me, when sickness strikes or when a family member dies. I have to look reality in the face. But other times I can choose to pull away the veil. I can take a few minutes to read a book and consider what life is about. I can spend an evening talking with my wife or a friend about deep personal issues.

One favorite way I pull back the veil is by reading about geology. Can we even imagine that the ground underneath is slowly moving, constantly pushing, mountains lifting, the ground cracking, bending, grinding, melting, hardening...and all of that imperceptibly slow change has shaped the hills and valleys I travel each day into the office, off to violin lessons, or over to the grocery store. I enjoy the beauty of the nearby Santa Ana mountains every day, but I enjoy them just a little bit more by considering the steady creep of tectonic forces over ages of time that put them there.

So I'm starting a blog to record my thoughts during those moments. They are sweet moments, but they are just moments. Then I have to get back at the daily grind of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment